Niki and I just got back from island hopping in the Greek Isles like nobody’s biz. Well actually we just went to Athens and Santorini, but that still counts as island hopping in my book. Along the trip we learned a few things:
1. It’s bad if the name on your airline ticket (Rob Lathan) doesn’t match the name on your passport (Samuel Robert Lathan). I almost wasn’t allowed on the plane.
2. Some people are paranoid of cell phones, such as the cab driver to JFK. He demanded that we turn off our cell phones because he said the radiation hurt his back. Also, his AC didn’t work. Also, it took almost two hours.
3. Pack an extra set of clothing in case your luggage doesn’t make it (ours didn’t – so I wore the same clothes for 36 hours and Niki bought an over-priced dress and flip-flops.)
4. Niki and I would not win the Amazing Race. Every place we travel we tend to run into trouble, mostly brought on by yours truly. (See #1 and #3)
5. It’s harder to appreciate the beauty of the Parthenon when sweat is dripping in front of your eyes. But once you wipe away the sweat and dry off the pit stains, it’s pretty sweet….
6. If the hotel manager in Santorini says he’ll have a van ready to pick you up from the airport, that probably means he won’t.
7. It’s probably not a good idea to walk 2 miles to your hotel after dinner, especially if you really have to pee.
8. There’s not much to do in Terminal A of the Athens Airport if you’re stuck there for a 12 hour layover. We did several crossword puzzles.
BUT even with all of our travel mishaps, the trip was amazing. Probably my 2nd favorite trip of all time – 2nd only to the honeymoon in Barcelona. In Athens, we saw all of the sights in two days. And Santorini might be the coolest place in the world. And if that’s not enough, there were even a few sightings of the one, the only: Permanent Nutface Gary…
(Yes I have a cool wife who is willing and even enthusiastic to take these pics.)